During an interview with director Cameron Crowe for Rolling Stone’s May issue, Styles explained that he was in a London Studio back in 2014 when he first brought up taking a break.
“I didn’t want to exhaust our fan base,” Styles told Rolling Stone about initiating the break. “If you’re shortsighted, you can think, ‘Let’s just keep touring,’ but we all thought too much of the group than to let that happen. You realize you’re exhausted and you don’t want to drain people’s belief in you.”
In August 2015, the band decided to listen to Styles’ advice and formally announced their hiatus.
Since then, both Louis Tomlinson and Liam Payne have become fathers and Niall Horan has released a single. (Former member Zayn Malik — who has also released new music — had already exited the group when the break was announced.) As for Styles? He’s been working on his first solo album, which will debut next month.
While One Direction didn’t set an end date for their hiatus, Styles said his time in the group isn’t necessarily over.
“I love the band, and would never rule out anything in the future. The band changed my life, gave me everything,” he said.
We totally understand the group’s reason for splitting up when they did. It’s given fans even more new music to look forward to from each of the members. And with the idea of a reunion still on the table, One Direction could still live on in the future.
Harry Styles drops on May 12, 2017.