Never fear, One Directioners! There is a light at the end of the hiatus tunnel for you—at least according to Niall Horan.
Niall visited BBC AMERICA’s The Graham Norton Show earlier this month and gave an update on the beloved band.
“For now we are doing our own thing,” Horan explained. “We can’t put a date on it but it won’t be in fifty years time. It’s in the foreseeable future. We’ve talked about it but for now we’ll just play by ear and see what happens.”
In other words, think of this boy band hiatus as a “gap year” for the guys. In the meantime, Niall says he took some much needed me-time to do something he feels he actually missed out on as a teen.
“I went backpacking around the world with my two cousins,” Horan said proudly. “I wanted to do it properly so we did it on a budget. All of my friends got to do it when I was traveling the world in a different way, so I thought it’s only fair that I get to do it, too.”
And while he was taking selfies in Thailand and hopping from one hostel to another, the 23-year-old never stopped making music along the way.
“When I got back from Asia I just started doing acoustic stuff—the stuff I grew up on—and thought, ‘Maybe I should release them. They’re actually not that bad,'” he told Norton.
Niall dropped one of his new creations, “This Town” in September. And much to Niall’s relief, the folk-inspired breakup track is already climbing the charts, currently at No. 25 on the Billboard Hot 100.
“I am 100 percent relieved that people like it,” Niall said. “I’ve been sitting on it for so long and keeping it a secret. It was a nerve-wracking time.”
So rest assured, we can expect more music from Niall sooner and a 1D reunion later. See Niall’s entire interview when The Graham Norton Show premieres Saturday, Oct. 22 at 10:15/9:15c on BBC AMERICA.
(H/T E! News)