The second episode of Game of Thrones gave us our first real peek into the Stark family history as young Bran (Isaac Hempstead Wright) looked into his father’s past with help from the Three-Eyed Raven. The flashback scene offered an interesting look at some characters we’re already familiar with. There’s a young Hodor who can speak, and of course, Bran’s father, Ned, but one mysterious character we can’t stop thinking about is Bran’s aunt, Lyanna Stark.
At the beginning of the episode, Bran mentions that he recognizes her based on the statue he’s seen of her in the family crypt, but that she died before he was born. Right now, there’s a lot of mystery surrounding Lyanna, but we won’t be surprised if her backstory turns out to be a pivotal to the Game of Thrones narrative!
If you’re interested in learning more about Lyanna Stark, we’ve complied a list of facts that may help you crack the mystery of why she could be important! But fair warning, there are some potential spoilers on the list!
1. She was originally meant to marry Lord Robert Baratheon. Her father arranged for her to be betrothed to him but she was kidnapped by Prince Rhaegar Targaryen before that could happen.
2. Her abduction served as at a catalyst for an uprising called Robert’s Rebellion. The battle almost completely obliterated House Targaryen (then heirs to the iron throne) and as a result, Robert Baratheon became king after killing Prince Rhaegar.
3. Lyanna was rescued during Robert’s rebellion but soon thereafter died. Her cause of death is still unknown.
4. Despite all the time that had passed, Robert Baratheon never really got over her loss. There’s a scene in the first episode of season one where he and Ned go to visit her tomb together.
5. She’s actually Jon Snow’s mother — or at least that’s how the theory goes.
We’ve spent six seasons alongside Jon Snow believing he is the son of Ned Stark but one popular fan they that’s been around for years is the idea that perhaps, Snow is in fact the son of Lyanna and Rhaegar Tararyen. In the books, Rhaegar and Lyanna flee to the Tower of Joy soon after Robert’s Rebellion begins and this is where fans believe she may have gotten pregnant. We also know that just before Lyanna died, Ned made her an unknown promise — could it perhaps have been to raise Jon Snow as his own? Additionally, many fans who subscribe to this theory are quick to point out that unlike the rest of the Stark children, Arya and Jon look much more alike, which is interesting considering Arya is said to resemble her aunt Lyanna.
Game of Thrones episode 3 gave us another piece of the puzzle after Bran witnesses his father reaching the Tower of Joy. Ned hears a scream and starts toward the tower, but just as Bran’s about to follow and find out what lies within, the Three-Eyed Raven pulls him back into the real world. It looks like the time wasn’t right for Bran to find out the secrets the tower hold, but we’re hoping we’ll soon discover more about both Ned and Lyanna’s past as the series progresses.
What do you think about Lyanna Stark’s role on GOT? Share your theories below!
Game of Thrones airs Sundays at 9 p.m. on HBO.