It’s case closed for Castle. After eight seasons, the ABC crime dramedy has officially been canceled.
Deadline reports that the fan favorite show will not be coming back in the fall, even though stars Nathan Fillion, Jon Huertas and Seamus Dever had all reportedly inked contracts for the show’s tentative new season. It was already confirmed back in April that Castle’s female lead, Stana Katic, would not be returning to the show even if it did get picked up for a ninth season. It seems the big bosses at ABC didn’t believe the show could live on without the original dynamic duo.
That means, after much back and forth, that Monday’s season 8 ender will now serve as the series finale. Showrunners Terence Paul Winter and Alexi Hawley had previously told TVLine that they had a final scene ready to go in case the show wasn’t picked up for a ninth season.
“We have crafted a final scene that would exist only if we weren’t coming back,” Hawley told TVLine last month. “One that we don’t really want to get into…”
ABC had already a released a promo for Monday’s episode, and it seems to point toward a tragic end for Katic’s Beckett. Fans, of course, were already wondering how Castle would live in a world without his beloved partner-in-crime, now it seems he won’t have to — that is assuming execs can switch up the episode in time to make it befitting of a (hopefully happy) series finale.
Tune in to see how it all ends when Castle airs its last episode on Monday, May 16. How should the show wrap up? Tell us in the comments!