The 2014 ALS Ice Bucket Challenge continues to prosper!
We’ve been updating our Celebrity Ice Bucket Challenge post almost on the hour as more and more celebrities take part in the worthy cause. Tom Cruise, Vin Diesel, and Shakira, are just a few stars who have uploaded videos of themselves getting doused in cold water recently.
Then, of course, there’s John Krasinski. The Office actor channeled his inner Jim Halpert when he surprised unsuspecting wife Emily Blunt with an impromptu bucket of cold water — and that too as she was returning home with a bag full of groceries.
Hey, at least he’s evolved beyond the ol’ stapler in the jello prank.
We’ve learned a great deal from the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. First, and obviously most importantly, the viral campaign has helped raise both money and awareness for ALS, which is also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. According to a new report, the ALS Association has received $31.5 million in donations from donors between late July and mid-August. Last year, the ALS Association raised $1.9 million in that same time period.
As the videos continue to roll in, we’re also learning quite a lot about our favorite celebrities.
Here are 25 things we’ve learned from watching celebrities do the Ice Bucket Challenge:
1. If you ever need change for a $1,000 bill, Taylor Swift is your gal.
2. Justin Bieber, LeBron James, and Ethel Kennedy actually have something in common. They all nominated President Obama for the Ice Bucket Challenge.
3. Katy Perry might be a pirate.
Who is apparently immune to freezing cold water.
4. Apparently, Justin Bieber doesn’t own any buckets.
He used a cooking pot instead.
5. And neither does Lady Gaga.
6. Regardless of decade, Kelso, Eric, and Fez will always be friends.
7. Gabrielle Union was the only celebrity (so far) who thought to wear a shower cap.
8. Kerry Washington will do anything to protect Scandal spoilers.
9. Selena Gomez owns a James Franco t-shirt.
Do you think James Franco in turn owns a Selena Gomez shirt?
10. Troian Bellisario and Zachary Quinto are friends.
Alright @jenniferbeals you asked for it! So I am donating cash & doing the #ALSIceBucketChallenge and to keep the ball rolling I challenge: @zacharyquinto @lucyhale @docdanger Also not to be annoying but as we are in a serious drought please share your ice bucket water with a friend and recycle it (like I did with @halfadams and you will see it's very satisfying. I think he got a little too much enjoyment out of this… But my revenge tasted so sweet)
11. It’s always funnier to dump ice water on celebrities while they’re still talking.
12. There really is an initiation process for the new Voice judges.
And were we thought Blake Shelton kidding.
13. More of a question than an observation, but how does Lance Bass properly utilize that swing if there’s a safety rail behind him?
14. Everything is better in slow motion.
See also Katy Perry.
15. Ice Bucket challenge? Please. Carrie Underwood upped the ante by creating the Ice Backhoe Challenge!
16. Vin Diesel is more like his Fast & Furious alter ego Dominic Toretto than you’d think.
17. Do not mess with Questlove’s hair!
Props to the person who coined the term ‘Wetroversy.’
18. Ansel Elgort will not be making an appearance on Dancing with the Stars any time in the near future.
19. This may be a bit obvious, but Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner are the cutest celebrity couple.
20. Wait, scratch that! John Krasinski and Emily Blunt may very well be the cutest celebrity couple!
21. We’re pretty sure Geoff Stults doesn’t know how to swim.
Why else would he own a cow floatie?
22. Tom Cruise is just as fearless as his Mission Impossible 5 character Ethan Hunt.
Eight buckets?! That’s setting the bar high.
23. Ed Sheeran didn’t nominate bestie Taylor Swift. He did, however, nominate The Game.
24. Adam Levine is the most zen Voice coach
25. Anna Wintour did the challenge in a dress.
You didn’t think she was going to wear gym shorts did you?
Kudos to all these celebrities for helping to raise awareness for such a great cause. To hear from someone who has ALS and to understand the impact of the disease, watch the powerful video below.
If you’d like to donate to the ALS Association, you can do so here.