Justin Timberlake blessed fans with a rare peek into his soul Sunday night.
The 33-year-old accomplished musician and actor sat down for a candid interview on the season premiere of Oprah’s Master Class on OWN. Timberlake discussed his musical influences, his decision to go solo as an artist, and even his very real fight to bring sexy back. Oprah says JT was chosen for the series because of his unique “level of self-awareness.”
“He’s not just traveling through his life as a superstar,” Oprah said during a surprise appearance on the OWN Show recently. “He’s a real artist who is thoughtful about his place in the world and what it took for him to get there.”
So, with Oprah’s blessing, here are five kernels of wisdom that JT shared during his appearance on Master Class.
5. On writing a song for Michael Jackson: “I think it’s the first idea I ever got about doing something on my own, because it was the first time I’d ever really felt the confidence to do it.”
4. On his decision to leave NSYNC: “It was bittersweet. It was hard to kind of say goodbye to that era, but I felt it changing. I felt music changing, and I felt myself changing.”
3. On being a beginner: “I like being a beginner. I like the moment where I can look at everyone and say, ‘I have no idea how to do this. Let’s figure it out.'”
2. On resistance to releasing “SexyBack:” “You learn to judge your gut. I only had my instinct, which is a powerful thing.”
1. On hard work: “Practice. Rehearsal. Working on it when no one’s looking. Getting comfortable in it, so that when you step on that stage, you’re ready.”
Which line was your favorite? Tell us about it in the comments below!