TGIF, fans of popular culture! We have the very best entertainment headlines to help ease your way into the weekend. Carrie Underwood sounds off on the Sound of Music, Benedict Cumberbatch performs a dramatic reading of R. Kelly’s “Genius” and more in today’s headlines.
Start your day with a dose of pop culture!
1. Did you tune in for NBC’s live performance of The Sound of Music? Star Carrie Underwood tweeted that she “couldn’t be more proud,” and added, “What a tough thing to pull off and we did it! I am so blessed!!!” [USA Today]
2. The date of the apocalypse has been announced. X-Men: Apocalypse, we mean. X-Men director Bryan Singer broke the news on Twitter tweeting, “#Xmen #Apocalypse 2016!” Fox confirmed the film will open May 27, 2016. [Businessweek]
3.“Watch your back, 2 Chainz, Cumberbatch is in town,” said host Jimmy Kimmel after watching Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch’s dramatic reading of the R. Kelly song “Genius.” Watch Cumberbatch’s elegant yet hilarious interpretation below! [EW]
4. Even a Dutchess is prone to fashion reruns. Kate Middleton wore a long-sleeve ivory Roland Mouret gown to the Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom London premiere Thursday. (Middleton last wore the sleek, high-slit gown at the Thirty Club dinner last year.) The best part? Her accessories appear to be from Zara (because who needs crown jewels right?). [People Style Watch]
5. Britney Spears held a RSVP-less listening party on Twitter for her new album Britney Jean. Spears interacted with fans and answered questions regarding her new songs. Spears mentioned that her new song “Alien” deals with “loneliness and how you can be surrounded at all times by friends, family and adoring fans who you love and still feel alone.” [E!]
6. The wait is finally over! Pantone’s 2014 “Color of the year” has been announced. Joining Emerald, Pantone’s 2013 color of the year, in the winner’s circle is… Radiant Orchid! Chin up, there’s always next year, yellow. [Washington Post]
What’s your favorite headline from today?