Ross & Rachel vs. Chandler & Monica: Which couple had better on-screen chemistry?

By Archana Ram | 11:23 am on October 25, 2013

05-monica-chandler-friends

Olivia and Fitz? Castle and Beckett? Derek and Meredith? All these juicy couples have oodles of on-screen chemistry–you can vote for your current favorite here!–but they also each have something different to offer. There’s the scandalous (pun intended) tryst between Olivia and Fitz (Scandal), the serious girl-funny guy amour between Castle and Beckett (Castle) and the sheer longevity of the Derek-Meredith saga (Grey’s Anatomy). (And that’s just to name a few of the pairs pre-nominated in the category.)

They’re all memorable small-screen relationships, but we can’t really talk about on-screen couple chemistry without mentioning the ultimate in TV romances: Rachel & Ross and Chandler & Monica from Friends.

It’s no secret that Ross & Rachel were dubbed the “epic couple.” Do you remember the scene of their first kiss? She was closing Central Perk, he was waiting outside in the rain. Then they fought. Finally they kissed! There was the tumultuous “we were on a break” break-up–that night-long break-up scene gets us every time!–and to send our hearts on an even loopier roller coaster, they then got back together, if only for a night, thanks to Rachel’s 18-page letter (“front and back!”). We all know their story ended happily ever after with baby Emma on board, but man, writers, did you play with our hearts with all those break-ups and make-ups!

That said, as epic as “Ross & Rachel” may have been, we still love Chandler & Monica better. Chandler & Monica’s was a romance that developed slowly through friendship. There were a few hidden hints that the two would get together, like when Chandler said that if Monica is unmarried at 40 they’ll get hitched or at the beach house when Chandler grills Monica about why he wouldn’t be a good boyfriend for her. And unlike Ross & Rachel, Chandler & Monica built their relationship from the ground-up–without giving us whiplash. There were some deeply emotional times, including Monica’s down-on-bended-knee proposal and the shock that the duo couldn’t have kids, but those were all the moments that proved how real their relationship seemed.

Also, we can’t think of a better sub-plot than Chandler & Monica keeping their relationship from the rest of the group. I mean, could those episodes be any funnier?

So who do you side with? Are you a Ross & Rachel fan or a Chandler & Monica devotee? And be sure to vote in our Favorite Onscreen Chemistry category! The results will be announced at the 40th annual People’s Choice Awards, airing January 8, 2014 on CBS.

Read more:
Favorite Music Fan Following: What makes great fandom?
The silliest moments from the Favorite Dramatic Actor nominees
The best style moments from Favorite Female Artist nominees
People’s Choice Awards launches nominee voting

1. Paula says:

I really think the best couple is Monica and Chandler. They are very funny apart, and are funnier together. It shows a love story that defies everything. Monica is a very beautiful woman, while Chandler is an introverted guy that uses jokes to calm his nerves. I think it shows us how even though we have the love of our lives right in front of us, it may take a while for you to figure out.

2. Nadia says:

Omg this is so hard to choose. I love both couples so much. If I absolutely had to pick one though, it’d be Ross and Rachel <3

3. Amy says:

ROSS AND RACHEL! They had something just about them, their scenes together were perfect! Their coffee house scene made me pour my eyes out, same when Rachel got off the plane, it was the perfect way to end. Rachel and Ross in one word are epic <3

4. Aurore says:

Ross and Rachel <3

5. Sandy says:

I love both the couples a lot!! both can be deemed as epic!! but I’m fond of Ross-Rachel a lil more! <3

6. Faniston says:

Ross and Rcahel of course!! Roschel foreve!! haha

7. mia says:

Ross and Rachel all the way! Lobster ♥

8. Soph says:

Monica and Chandler :D

9. vilka says:

Monica and Chendler. I like them separate and I love them together.

10. I was an avid shipper of Monica and Chandler before they got together – literally from the first season – so I was thrilled when the writers went there and actually cried when they got married. They are my favourite couple by far, but then it helped that they were also my two favourite characters.

11. Emma says:

Ross & Rachel all the way!

12. Sandra says:

of course Rachel and Ross

13. I love both couples, but Ross and Rachel had this electricity that just won my heart. I think they had *better* chemistry, but that doesn’t mean I think Chandler and Monica had none! Friends was very good at writing wonderful couples.

14. Sara says:

I miss Friends so much! My favorite couple was Ross and Rachel <3

15. ellys says:

Ross and Rachel –> even they fought each other, broke up many times, dating other people but they need each other without say something about love but their heart cannot be replace by anybody.

16. Becky.lawler@hotmail.co.uk says:

monica & chandler!
    Definitely mondler:)

17. anna says:

Chandler and Monica even though i also love Rachel & Ross :) I miss FRIENDS btw!

18. Morgan says:

Roshel all the way. Their relationship was complicated, but so sweet. Like the way Ross was going to propose and everything. And how he broke up with numerous girls just so Rachel would be happy. Now that’s someone who cares. And after they broke up, and Ross was supposed to be on TV, and he helped Rachel all night,that was so cute.

19. Terrie Pierce says:

Chandler and Monica, for sure. Best friends to married? perfect relationship.

20. Monica says:

Mondler all the way! They were just PERFECT together :) best couple ever!