She’s Got Eyes of the Bluest Skies…

By jjlovebradford | 9:30 am on February 9, 2012

I love Guns N’ Roses. And it’s not only because my husband and I shared our first kiss during November Rain or that our first dance was to Patience. I’m just a true fan who loves to rock out to their amazing guitar riffs, sing at the top of my lungs along with Axl and listen to all their albums – including Chinese Democracy. So I’m psyched about the tickets I have to their NYC concert next week and I’m super psyched to have been invited to attend their induction ceremony to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in April. What songs will they perform? Who will show up? What time will Axl decide to play? I can’t wait to discover the answers to these frequently asked questions alongside my fellow GN’R fans.

Speaking of my fellow GN’R fans, and speaking of fans in general… when you find yourself waiting in-line, in the rain, for 36 hours, next to a creepy-creeperson-long-haired lumberjack, just so you can get a back-row seat, do you ask yourself, if this is really worth it? Of course not! Fans do what is necessary to get near to and witness their favorites share their gift.  Now, the days of camping out in front of the venue have gone extinct thanks to the ease of online buying but we still do put ourselves through the ringer to get the best spot / get dripped on / catch a flying drumstick. We hold in the urge to pee for hours on end just so we don’t lose our spot in the front row. We deck ourselves out in outrageous makeup and even more outrageous clothes that we normally wouldn’t be caught dead in. Why? Cause the music we love does more than simply entertain us. It speaks to us, reminds us of the happiest times in our lives – heck we base our wedding ceremonies around it… you don’t see couples gazing into each other’s eyes as they screen clips of their favorite Seinfeld episodes or quote Adventures in Babysitting. And when it’s live – forget about it. The guy next to you is instantly your best friend. You somehow know the lyrics to every song (or at least you think you do, i.e. “She was a fax machine, she kept her modem clean”). And the experience you share with the date/friend/cousin you bring with you is one you talk about forever – in a yearbook, in a maid of honor speech, in an eulogy. Ah, good times.

So it’s a little off topic, since I was too young to have seen the Appetite for Destruction tour, but I wanted to share my favorite concert memory. It’s definitely a little lame to admit it took place at Woodstock ’99 but it was during one of my favorite band’s performances – the Red Hot Chili Peppers. They had just finished a rousing rendition of “Suck my Kiss” when they left the stage suddenly, only to be replaced by the event organizer who alerted us that we were surrounded by fire. I climbed up on my boyfriend-at-the-time’s shoulders and sure enough, all 350,000 of us were encircled by several bonfires, created out of garbage by the outskirting fans. Yeah, it was that Woodstock. But, while this moment could have instantly turned catestrophic, the Chili Peppers came back on stage and leapt into a performance of Jimi Hendrix’ “Let Me Stand Next to Your Fire.” The crowd went wild, forgot about the danger and celebrated the music. I had a good time. I hope everyone was OK.

So you know now my taste in music, and I want to know which Gun’s N Roses song is your favorite. Maybe this poll will inspire you to write you own, using your favorite bands and songs.

November Rain

Patience

Sweet Child of Mine

Welcome to the Jungle

1. Kim says:

THE rock band of my teens and early 20′s years! I would have to say that “You Could Be Mine” is my favorite song from GNR. I really like the new album, it was fun to see the new line up in concert and it was a good show.

2. Beth Dee says:

GNR were THE band of my late teens. I absolutely love them. It’s hard to pick one favirote song – I love different songs for different reasons. My best friend’s name was Michelle and we jammed over and over to My Michelle. The first time I became aware of the band was when I first saw the video for Sweet Child Of Mine on MTV. I looked at my younger sister and said: “They’re going to be huge”. I instantly was obsessed with them. I also love Patience, You’re Crazy, Welcome To The Jungle, Civil War, You Could Be Mine, Rocket Queen, I Used To Love Her – I love all GNR! I’m really interested to see what happens at the induction ceremony. I can’t picture them all up there on stage smiling together or playing together. Wouldn’t that be awesome if they did, though?

3. Shari says:

Patience is my favorite. I was 14 when it came out (was it really that long ago?) and my boyfriend learned to play it on his guitar and sang it to me all the time. Obviously we are no longer together, but everytime I hear Patience I think of him and hope he is having a happy life and doing what he loves (Jer-Bear if you read this know I still think of you as one of the best kissers ever).
    I also love Mr. Brownstone and My Michelle as well as November Rain, but then I love all of their songs.

4. Sour Diesel says:

My Michelle is #1, Rocket Queen, Coma off Use your Illusion 2, Dead Horse is awesome, their rendition of Aint it Fun is phenominal and far better than the original, Jungle is an iconic rock and roll song, jeez, I could go on for hours but I’ll stick with My Michelle as their best jam

5. Georgia says:

Lets see, I have so many favorites. My husband and I were 16 and working at a Pizza Hut and Sweet Child O’Mine played on the juke box constantly. We werent married yet, but the song always goes along with my thoughts of that time. After we were married and working on our second child, Patience came out…I love the song, but to this day 20 years later, I cant listen to it with out feeling morning sickness all over again. LOL! I loved GNR.

6. Mandy Wright says:

Wow,you want me to narrow it down to a few of my favorites,,,don’t know if I can do that. My younger brother tells everyone that he use to catch me doing “The Axl” everyday in my room jammin’ to Guns N’ Roses!!! I guess a FAVORITE is Patience. Love Paradise City,Used to Love Her,Welcome to the Jungle,My Michelle,It’s So Easy,,,,,aw hell PRETTY MUCH ALL GNR!!!

7. Messaline says:

I love several but my absolute favorite is “Dust and Bones”

I’m glad they got in. I wonder if Axl and Slash can use the opportunity to reconcile.

8. Kelley says:

Rocket Queen & Its so easy…I love the memories from back in the day driving to catch a live cover band in
    Tampa Fl and blasting my speakers out to those songs.
    Man those were the daze.

9. Michele says:

Its a toss up between My Michelle and Rocket Queen.. Some friends and I were on Sunset on night back in the 80′s and some guy with long dark curly hair gave me a tape ( like they used to do then).. A few days later we were driving up north to Lake Tahoe and had lost radio reception in the car so I popped in that tape.. We loved this band.. 2 weeks later GNR hit the radio and we were floored.. It was the same guys we had met on Sunset.. (the guy that gave me the tape was Slash)

10. Jacob GNR92 says:

Estranged is by far my favorite, from the lyrics to the piano, the guitar to just the overall structure of an outstanding song. Personally, I think the current lineup, with Bumblefoot, DJ Ashba, etc, makes for a damn fine show, their Miami concert was amazing, worth every minute of the 2+ hour wait. I look forward to seeing who makes it up on stage for the Hall of Fame induction, but regardless, Axl is GNR, always will be.

11. Tim says:

“You Could Be Mine”

12. Michelle says:

I have to say My Michelle. ;)

13. Luv Axel Rose’s voice, his looks and his sexy moves on stage. I especially luv November Rain, Welcome to the Jungle, Don’t Cry, Sweet Child O’ Mine, Paradise City,and
    Patience. Congratulations to GNR for being inducted into the R&R Hall of Fame. I’m partial to the original line up,
    Axel, Izzy, Duff, Slash and Steven. They made beautiful music together.