Sunday’s Golden Globes: Good or Bad?

By People's Choice | 9:34 am on January 17, 2012

Did you watch the Golden Globes? Did you feel – as apparently many did —  that Ricky Gervais should be criticized/ridiculed for NOT being tasteless enough? Do you also feel that he was just too tame and therefore contributed to a dull awards show? Here’s what the UK press had to say about his performance. According to the BBC  “A ‘respectful and restrained’ Ricky Gervais lacked the bite of last year”…

To which I say, come on. This is a man who cannot get a break unless, a la Stephen Colbert, it’s all a big surreal joke and we’ll never really know if we’re being punk’d or he is. In my opinion? When they hired Gervais last year – for the second time —  the Hollywood Foreign Press Association knew what it was getting into with a guy long known for his acid tongue. You don’t enlist a mind that quick, who continuously asserts that he’s got absolutely nothing to lose, and then expect him to tip-toe around. Of course the HFPA knew exactly what was going to happen. Moreover even though it was deemed a “disaster” last year, and everyone reveled in the “horror” of it all, they got quite a bit of attention. Which we know is more often than not a good thing. In Hollywood, at least.

But if the HFPA really felt like that, if he really did go way over the line, then fine – don’t use him again. Oh wait – you say you’re thinking about it? He wasn’t that bad after all? Hiring him again makes you all look easy-going and most importantly, edgy? And it might bring you better ratings? Oh, okay. That’s cool. So bring him back. But NOW, if his every word isn’t laced with poison, his every paragraph not a baffling attack on the unsuspecting, don’t get mad. If he’s not particularly monstrous, you better not complain. You say he was “flat”? Which is not “acceptable”? Sort of ridiculous, in my mind.

I thought Gervais did a good job, in fact. I enjoyed it and most importantly, he got us from one awards presentation to the next. Isn’t that the point? And isn’t that really the point when you’re at a podium surrounded by people actively eating and drinking? Isn’t the low-key thing why the Golden Globes was never considered a big network TV draw anyway – until now?

As for the awards themselves, with the exception of Martin Scorcese taking home the Globe for Hugo, nothing else was a great big surprise. Well, that and the fact that Laura Dern won for Enlightened which of course she may very well have deserved, but I had hoped either Tina Fey or Zooey Deschanel would somehow pocket that trophy. Perhaps the HFPA wanted to shock everyone and go with a total rookie program that all of forty-six people have watched so far. Like when they gave the Funny or Singing Best Actor award to Matt LeBlanc (whose new show I love). The Artist and Jean Dujardin? Got precisely the recognition they deserved.

By the way – one of the criticisms that gets lobbied the Globes’ way, fairly or unfairly, is the fact  that there’s not enough going on. Do you agree? Would you rather in-show sketches like we have with the PCAs and the Oscars? Let us know your thoughts.

And of course, the most important question – who looked best?

Today’s poll:

Which of these Golden Globes’ Red Carpet looks was your favorite?

1)   Laura Dern

2)   Angelina Jolie

3)   Octavia Spencer

4)   Emma Stone

1. youtube says:

Well I truly liked reading it. This tip provided by you is very practical for correct planning.

2. grammabet says:

Was there a complete “blackout” of the black entertainers?

3. Jack says:

Pretty good. Was very impressed how they didn’t skip out any of the main categories, eg. best drama TV series like the People’s Choice Awards did. Everyone got the recognition they deserved and I loved seeing all the big winners go up on the stage to receive their awards. Hopefully People’s Choice can learn something from this. I haven’t seen most of the movies that won awards so can’t comment on the choice of winners yet – People’s Choice Awards definitely got all the winners right (just forgot to invite some of the big winners).

4. CharleneJ8a says:

Reading the comments on President Obama, I find that I have now seen the rudest people in this great country of ours. Keep your rudeness to yourselves. There is enough negativity in this world without your promoting it!

5. Gina says:

I think the awards shows would be better if the movies were actually seen by the viewing audience. The majority of the movies nominated haven’t been released to the wide audience yet, how are we supposed to root for the stars if we don’t know what they’ve done. Ridiculous – the Oscars will be the same way, why do they have to be so early in the year!!

6. sandy says:

I thought Octavia Spencer looked so good in her lavendar gown. She did not go for black like so many of the chunky actresses do, she looked stunning

7. Yvonne says:

I´m not interested in the Golden Globes. I´m interested in an apologize for Supernatural. Do it!

8. Anna says:

Well at least they did better than you guys. The Golden Globe didn´t snub one of their major categories because they “don´t have enough time” or they weren´t satisfied with the choice of the jury. You could learn something from them. For example how to deal with guests in a polite way and to invite them all. If you still don´t know what I´m talking about… Yes, again SUpernatural. I think this will go on for a while. So you can use your energy instead of creating new “so interesting” polls for writing an more acceptable apology for SPN, the cast, the crew and fans.

9. Karen says:

Another boring poll. We are still waiting for an apology for your PCA disaster. So far nothing. Did you see the last episode of SPN. It was amazing. They so deserve the recognition for their work. Your ignorance to them and us is really annoying.

10. Marion says:

My favorite moment was when Sidney Poitier and Morgan Freeman were on the stage. Love them both, not to forget Helen Mirren.

11. Laura Hodges says:

The Golden Globes was so-so. I loved the fact that George Clooney got the recogniion he deserves. Yes, he is one of the most handome men on the planet but let’s not forget that he is a brilliant actor, director, and writer. I thought Sidney Poitier was TOO STIFF. What was his problem? Morgan Freeman is THE MAN!!!! As for someone saying “Better than the People’s Choice Awards”, I disagree. I loved the People’s Choice Awards.

12. Sally says:

Better than the “People’s” Choice Awards.

13. yeahiloveit says:

Nice post!
    Can we use couple paragraphes for our site http://yeahiloveit.com ?