What’s Anne Hathaway’s Best Movie?

By People's Choice | 4:44 am on November 30, 2011

Now we move on to another group of People’s Choice Awards nominees: Favorite Movie Actress. This year’s bevvy of beauties include The Next Catwoman, America’s Sweetheart, America’s Other Sweetheart, America’s Favorite Friend, and That Sultry- Voiced Young Thing With The Huge Career Ahead. Anne Hathaway

Or, Anne Hathaway, Julia Roberts, Reese Witherspoon, Jennifer Aniston, and Emma Stone.

Today we kick things off with Anne Hathaway. Which is, in my opinion, never a bad place to start. This 5-time PCA Nominee’s been called a combination of Julie Andrews, Audrey Hepburn, and Judy Garland; while these are pretty big (if petite) shoes to fill, my guess is she’s got plenty of roles left to play and more legendary comparisons to draw. This summer she’ll play Catwoman opposite Christian Bale in The Dark Knight Rises, which may well be a career-defining role. Having starred in more than 25 films already, she ALSO has the upcoming big screen version of Les Miserables enroute. Speaking of Les Mis (and she might be one very good reason to go see it even if you’re not a fan of the Broadway show) here’s another fun fact:  did you know she can sing? And has – professionally? We don’t always hear about that stuff. Nor is she one of those girls who gigs with a band in a smokey basement dive bar on the side – this is a classically trained soprano who can go toe to toe with legit operatic types. She’s also having something of a banner week — having just become engaged to her longtime beau Adam Shulman. So hearty congratulations are also in order.

Perhaps you first encountered her in The Princess Diaries or Ella Enchanted, which is where Hollywood took notice. Like so many other young ladies however, she was determined not to be typecast and began to opt for more challenging (and in some cases not always likeable) roles. Brokeback Mountain provided real dramatic cred, while The Devil Wears Prada demonstrated that she could carry a grownup film for the Sex and The City crowd and appear opposite Meryl Streep. With Rachel’s Getting Married and Love and Other Drugs she earned major  “indie” cred – in addition to big awards nominations – at which point more people began noting things besides the poise and striking looks. She also – much like George Clooney – has that timeless classic movie star thing working. There’s a certain bearing that’s hard to pinpoint, because even when playing strung-out or collapsing characters, her sophistication and stoicism set her apart from so many of her contemporaries. In fact, this is probably one of the reasons why the producers of the Academy Awards tapped her to host the Oscars last year, which I still maintain was a good idea. For despite the critics, I think she was genuinely game under enormous pressure –  alongside a co-host who seemed beyond flummoxed about what to do. She was upbeat and good-natured, and clearly tried to compensate for the pressure-induced catatonia prompted in James Franco. I don’t actually think we can blame either host, and Hathaway demonstrated considerable pluck in what must have been a terrifying situation. I’m guessing that’s what happens when producers demand “youth” and “something new” at all costs.  At 29, I think we have to give her real credit for taking it on and maintaining a modicum of class – not sure how many others could have pulled any of it off and lived to talk about it.  She also, with One Day (which I really enjoyed) joined the elite club of American ladies like Renee Zellweger and Gwyneth Paltrow who can get an English movie made – by playing a Brit. Seems there may not be too much this young lady can’t do. Is Anne Hathaway your Favorite Movie Actress? Let us know and cast your PCA votes today!

Today’s poll:

Voice your choice in today’s featured poll and tell us which one of these Anne Hathaway movies is your favorite:

1)    The Devil Wears Prada

2)    Love and Other Drugs

3)    Get Smart

4)    One Day

1. HockeyFantom says:

The Devil Wears Prada!!!

2. Annie Tudu says:

The Devil Wears Prada is my favorite.

3. Michael says:

Anne Hathaway is my favorite actress. People really need to watch “Rachel’s Getting Married” in which she won a Critics Choice Award and was nominated for an Academy Award!

4. el says:

Im still waiting for it

she’s annoying

5. Katelyn says:

I love Anne Hathaway! She is great. I’m gonna have to go with The Devil Wears Prada!

6. Patti-Ann says:

I love all Anne’s movies but I was awestruck by her performance in Love and Other Drugs. Brilliant!

7. Chrissy says:

Love & Other Drugs was by far the most amazing movie she was in and she should have been recognized more for her performance in it. She was completely believable as this character and had great chemistry with Jake Gyllenhall.

8. Lola Marie says:

My favorite is “Becoming Jane” with James McAvoy. Thats the hopeless romantic in me though. She has many good good films but thats my number 1 of her.

9. Art gonzalez says:

I think the moment Anne dropped all her clothes for love and other drugs I was instantly delighted that she is quite frankly one of the most beauitful woman in movies period. Her dramatic transfer of toughness to culnerability in Love and other Drugs was missed by the Oscar community. She is a real actress!

10. Pat Johnson says:

I loved her in Rachel’s Getting Married, she created the troubled person every family deals with so realistically.

11. Watertank says:

Passengers was my favorite.

12. Carlos says:

She was excellent in Passengers, a very underrated movie. She was also good in Havoc. She had the courage to go away from the kiddie roles when she was starting to get some attention. She is fearless in taking roles…

13. Donna says:

My favorite was Ella Enchanted. I just loved that movie!

14. Jean says:

I love Anne Hathaway, too. I don’t know what she has, but she has “IT”. My favorite role isn’t listed; I thought she was superb in “Becoming Jane”, and that she and another favorite of mine, James McAvoy (“Atonement”), had tremendous chemistry in that film. I hope we’ll be enjoying her work for years to come. And all happiness, Anne, at the news of your recent engagement!

15. 2trix2 says:

Bride Wars and Princess Diaries 1 are my favorite Anne Movies. I haven’t seen a badmovie she’s done but whenever she plays dramatic; she does well but all of the sudden I expect for her to burst out in song.

16. I love Anne Hathaway and she is my favorite movie actress. I love all the character that she played. But i am in love with the Get Smarts Anne Hathaway. She is great.

17. Lex says:

Brokeback Mountain. There was much range and I was quite suprised.

18. christy says:

I love Anne hathaway. She is the sweet evil girl next door. The devil wears prada was awesome, she really shined, it captured to me how materialistic rulers can drive you away from your hearts journey. I also favored her in brides wars very hilarious, I love how her demeanor seems like she’s a follower in both then finds her own personal hero a gift and strength alot of women wish they had. I feel an honest portrayal in the roles she plays.

19. ombm1 says:

What about Rachel Getting Married, or even her voiceover in Hoodwinked or even Bride Wars? I love Anne Hathaway. I love that she doesn’t look like everyone else, and she always has chemistry with her co-stars. Since this is the list that is provided, I’d have to go with The Devil Wears Prada.