Should Hugh Jackman Be The Next James Bond?

By People's Choice | 9:10 am on October 20, 2011

The nominating process is still underway …did you vote yet? There’s still time to pick your favorites – and let your voice be heard. Now, before moving on to today’s discussion please join us in wishing People’s Choice President Fred Nelson a happy birthday. Cheers Fred!

So Real Steel is the number one movie in America right now – and given what’s opening this weekend (Three Musketeers, Paranormal Activity 3) I say those boxing robots will continue to dominate. Is there anything Hugh Jackman can’t do? He acts, he fights, he sings and dances on Broadway, he’s a “personality” and can host awards shows with the best of them – so what’s left?

Reportedly, his license to kill.

According to the latest buzz (which comes straight from the canniest of publicists’ mouths, natch) Hugh initially turned down the role of Bond a few years back – but apparently the Australian’s having some serious second thoughts. He says they initially offered him the role for Casino Royale – which subsequently went to Daniel Craig, who himself had to endure his fair share of ribbing and outcry when he tried to fill those shoes. Fortunately, Craig pulled it of and everyone calmed down. (When are people going to learn that complaining/emailing/petitioning about the people cast in beloved roles is the productivity equivalent of, say, preventing nightfall?) But why did Jackman originally turn down the ultra-debonair superspy? At the time he was contracted to play Wolverine and felt that he didn’t want to take on two iconic parts. Okay, that makes sense, although I don’t believe for a second that there wasn’t some creative schedule juggling til they arrived at that unfortunate conclusion. We are talking about actors, after all.

So what does Hugh Jackman want? He’s a major movie star, he produces films, he’s got a family and plenty of cash and lots of creative freedom – what’s next? Bond, he says. Daniel Craig’s got the job for now – and ironically both Bond and Jackman starred last year in a play together on Broadway. Last week we talked about Javier Bardem signing on to play Bond’s nemesis in the next installment. We also know that Jackman’s plate is quite full these days – what with signing on to star in the movie version of Les Miserables (that’s the gutsplitting musical that played for thirty-six years on Broadway that began with a loaf of bread and ended in misery. For me, at least.) So Hugh’s tied up, for now. But what happens when Daniel Craig – who’s just married Rachel Weisz, you’ll recall – decides he wants a home in the Costwolds. You know, where he can get away from it all and try fishing or scrimshaw or something. What then? Will Jackman be available? You tell us who you want shaking and not stirring that martini.

Today’s poll:

Daniel Craig’s Bond now, but he may not be forever. Voice your choice in today’s featured poll and tell us who you’d like to see play James Bond next:

1)   Hugh Jackman

2)   Clive Owen

3)   Ewan McGregor

4)   Gerard Butler

1. kaetanodj says:

Whats up very cool web site!! Guy .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally?I am satisfied to find a lot of helpful information right here within the submit, we want work out extra techniques on this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

2. Thanks a lot for sharing this with all of us you actually recognise what you are speaking about! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally seek advice from my web site =). We can have a link trade contract among us

3. I’ve learn some excellent stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how so much effort you place to make the sort of fantastic informative site.

4. Jaine says:

I am soooo late to this, but Fred’s birthday was WAY more important.

5. Darriel says:

Daniel Craig is the best bond yet…very intense actor as we saw in quantum of solace and casino royale. Hugh Jackman from Real Steel to bond??? dumb dumb dumb, he’s not even that good at playing wolverine or anything else for that matter. Idris Elba is fully capable of the role i’d vote for him if there had to be a change in actors. Black Bond?! That would be legendary :]

6. Kiea says:

HUGH JACKMAN “A MUST” Daniel Craig has the intensity but not the swag of James Bond he acts like a virgin around the women…He just looks out of place to me. But that Hugh Jackman, swag, sexiness, intensity and to me, he may not be arrogant by nature but he’s that good of an actor to pull off being a sexy “swag-a-licious” Bond. I’ll will go back to watching James Bond films if he plays the role. But I agree with “SHE” Idris Elba as bond, forget the fact that he’s black, He’s a TOTAL package, Sexy, Swag, Arrogance, Ruthless, BRITISH. It’s time to change the face of Bond anyway.

7. Lee says:

I have ALWAYS wanted Clive Owen to be the next Bond. He would be perfect. I don’t why he turned it down during the last search (maybe b/c Brosnan’s Bond was campy with all those double entendres). Craig has brought a seriousness to the role that makes it much more exciting, instead of cheesy. Owen could do the same or better, and still be tall, dark and handsome.

8. Lisa says:

What about Jason Statham? He would be the perfect James Bond but I would still watch Hugh Jackman as well!

9. nk says:

who ever that is competent should be

10. Lucifer says:

Hugh Jackman!! Hell yeah!! I like Daniel as Bond, but Hugh should replace him when he is done. I’m also on board for Will Smith as Bond. I don’t care about the color or heritage, I just know these two are the best!

11. A says:

Clive Owen or I will not watch

12. Billy says:

Why NOT Gerard Butler?

Daniel Craig oughta stay in the role as long as he can—IMHO, he’s the best since Connery. Lazenby was a flop, Moore was too campy, Dalton didn’t really want the job, Brosnan was outstanding but got too old too quick. Craig’s the real man.

That said, if Craig’s thinking about retiring already, then Butler could easily take over. Jackman’s gotten too associated with Wolverine—a conscious choice on his part. He might do well for the next “Mad Max” (I think there’s some fan-made trailers on YouTube for that). Clive Owen said “Not only no, but hell no” to the part about 5-6 years ago, right before Craig was announced, so that puts him out. And Ewan MacGregor just doesn’t seem like a good fit. Idris Elba—I dunno. He might work. But after watching Butler in “RockNRolla” and “300″, I’m solidly convinced he’s the guy.

But I still want Craig in there…

13. Senna says:

I considered Alex O’Loughlin, too, but he was denied before (unfortunately, he looks great in tuxedos) – I don’t know if he’d ever try again.
    Also I agree on a new actor, a new face we are not used to. That would be exciting.

14. Robbi says:

I love Hugh Jackman, but he’s not arrogant enough to play Bond. Tommy Lee Jones is arrogant enough, but, sadly, that’s only because he’s a Texan, not British.

15. DALE says:

HUGH JACKMAN WOULD BE PERFECT AS JAMES BOND. I WOULD WATCH HIM READ THE PHONE BOOK. I’VE SEEN EVERY ONE OF HIS MOVIES, AND SAW HIM ON BROADWAY. HE CAN DO ANYTHING AND AM PRAYING THAT HE WOULD ACCEPT THE BOND ROLE IF OFFERED. I READ WHEN HE WAS FIRST OFFERED IT, HE THOUGHT HE WAS TOO YOUNG, BUT NOW HE MAY FEEL DIFFERENTLY. HUGH JACKMAN FOR SURE, FOR BOND, FOR ANYTHING!

16. Sophia says:

Alex O’Loughlin should be the next James Bond!

17. asos says:

There is an upcoming english actor named Richard armitage that should also be considered!!!!!

18. Alette Hatfield says:

Yes! That is about the only thing that would get me to watch another James Bond movie.

19. Tami says:

NOooo. I adore Hugh Jackman but I have been saying for years I would love to see a black James Bond. no, Im not racist and am a die hard fan of the Bonds series. ABOSLUTLEY loved Daniel Craig, he made Bond sexy and intense. I like it that he was athletic and could dress his butt off but I want ELBA…PLEASE, he would be soooo sexy, My goodness…..

20. Kora says:

I want to see Hugh Laurie in this role

21. sanjay says:

now i am ready to read your full comment dearMtech computers

22. Cathi J. Alsop says:

LOVE Hugh Jackman but ONLY Daniel Craig should play Bond!!!

23. Candice says:

No. They should introduce a fresh actor we’ve never seen before who is perfect for the role. They’ll know him when they find him.

24. Janet says:

Yes I am agreed Hugh Jackman can be the next JAMES BOND. He have the look of MAN!!

25. She says:

Idris Elba for Bond.

26. Ash says:

OK, I’m ready for lynch mobs or mass cries of “Who the hell is he?” with my choice. I suggest David Tennant. In his 3-year stint on BBC/BBC America’s “Doctor Who,” he had a few very Bond-ish plots and, like Bond, got out of them with his wits and with fights when necessary. Plus, he looks great in a tux. Yes, he’s a bit skinny, but he could always bulk up. Feel free to Google Images search “David Tennant tux” or YouTube search “Doctor Who James Bond” for a better idea. David Tennant for Bond!

27. Rachel says:

Hugh is an Aussie – Bond has to be a Brit! Daniel Craig should run the James Bond genre out . . . he’s the best ever.

28. JEANETTE says:

I want Jackman as James Bond, he looks hot in a suit and would make a great James Bond!!

29. Phil says:

I used to love Bond movies, and Daniel Craig has done well, but c’mon, haven’t we pretty much run the franchise into the ground? No matter who plays it, how well it’s acted, how good the writing or the explosions or intrigue, it all feels like we’ve been there done that before – over and over and over again. Time to hang it up and call it a day, er, half century.

30. Danny says:

I really believe, that Rowan Atkinson could be the best choice for the James Bond. I believe,that she play a serious role as James Bond. It will attract so many different audiences. I believe, it will be a broken record box office hit. People are ready for a real big chance for a James Bond character. Please, just study carefully my opinion. We need a big drastic change, people are ready now. You will all really be surprise for this new James Bond. My name is Danny Cordova, try to study carefully my opinion. I might be the decision you will ever make. There are so many curious James Bond fans that will watch his movies from all over the world. People will not ever imagined this big change. That’s why it’s going to be a hit,and the best James Bond ever.

31. Sal says:

Personally, I would go with James Purefoy! He would be perfect for Bond!

32. Kathy says:

Jackman for sure – especially after his last movie Reel Steel? He looks like Bond