Who Should Be The Next Superman?

By People's Choice | 8:45 am on October 5, 2010

Today let’s talk about casting. It used to be when you got dragged to a play as a kid and there was an insert in the program with the word “Understudy” you didn’t pay any attention to it because you were ten and probably irritated that you had to go see a play in the first place. And so what would happen with that weird scrap of “Understudy” paper? It was usually just the right size for your gum. And maybe even more of your gum, later. Then let’s say you got a little older, maybe by ten or twelve  — or even twenty  — years, and you found yourself at another play. Chances are you’re slightly more interested in seeing live theater than when you were at ten (and I know plenty of people who won’t care one bit if they never see a play as an adult. Ever.) So let’s say you’re somehow interested in seeing a  play – maybe it’s on Broadway. So you go and  when you get that scrap of paper that says “Understudy”  it’s never a good sign because there’s now a distinct possibility that one of the guys or gals you paid a ton of cash to see is out sick for the show,  replaced by someone you never heard of. So in this instance it’s a drag. Probably worse than when you were ten. But let’s say you went to see a Broadway musical. (Frequently crowd-pleasers, but admittedly not for everyone.)  Oh sure, there have been those who appealed to the young, like Hair and Rent and now – cool! – American Idiot. So what happens when you go see American Idiot on Broadway and you open up your program and you see that “Understudy” sheet?  Well, you probably aren’t  too bummed because American Idiot doesn’t have a ton of household names starring in it,  so maybe it doesn’t matter.  Then right before you toss that “Understudy” sheet under your seat you glance at it — and your eyes pop out of your head. Turns out, the “Understudy” filling in is none other than Billie Joe Armstrong.  Green Day Billie Joe. How cool would that be?  To see the guy who created American Idiot right there, in the flesh. That’s exactly what  happened in New York City last week. Now I saw the musical, and I had a blast, but I cannot imagine what it would have been like to see it with Billie Joe. Can you? That’s one of those things that happens once in a blue moon, and everyone who was there got a little extra treat for schlepping all the way to Times Square in the first place. So now here’s another casting situation and here’s your chance  to vote on who you think should land one of Hollywood’s most coveted roles. Yesterday we learned that after much hush-hush negotiating Christopher Nolan (the guy behind The Dark Knight and Inception) is planning to produce the new Superman movie. We also learned that he’s got himself a director – one Zack Snyder, who directed Watchmen and 300 but his latest film is that Owl Movie  playing in theaters now. The Owl Movie that looks really good, only I can find neither an adult nor a child willing to go see it with me  (and BTW, why is the Owl Movie rated PG and not G – do the owls swear??)  But here’s the point – so they’re making the new Superman and they have a producer and a director and now – who will star?  And should The Man of Steel be a man or a pup? There’s no word yet on casting choices, but you can bet the internet’s abuzz with suggestions. Now let’s hear your thoughts. Voice your choice in today’s featured poll and tell us which of these guys you think should be cast in the next Superman movie:

1)    Ben Affleck

2)    Jon Hamm

3)    Matt Bomer

4)    Ryan Reynolds

1. Cartoons says:

Interesting blog, i like your blog, i will get back to your posts.

2. JOANNE says:

ANDREW,THANKS FOR THE COMPLIMENT.IT WAS MY ??? I GO FOR TOM WELLING ALL THE WAY!! HE HAS EARNED IT.AND WOULD HAVE THE APPROVAIL OF MR.REEVES HIMSELF!!!!

3. phyllis says:

I think superman should stay in the next one

4. paulette says:

i agree tom is the obvious choice i love matt b but his physique is not quite up to par

5. Mickey says:

I agree Tom Welling would have to be my choice but then I am a big fan of smallville. If not him then the only other choice is Brandon Routh, he did a great job in superman returns and he even reminds me of Christopher Reeves sometimes. I do agree he needs to put on alittle muscle but other then that he kinda reminds me of the superman I grew up with. But I still say Tom is my first choice.

6. zionschild says:

I agree with most of the going consensus. I’m going to go with none of these guys. They should let Tom Welling do it or Brandon Routh. I liked Brandon as Superman, he really looked the part and played it very well. Or Tom Welling. Why not Tom he’s been playing Clark Kent for a long time now. None of the top four (above) match up to what we look for in the Man of Steele.

7. Andrew says:

Wow! That is a single of the most effective blogs I’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Magnificent

8. manuela says:

Tom Welling hands down. Since Tom Welling and Christropher Reeve worked together on Smallville I believe it would be a bittersweet transition from Reeve to Welling. I hope Mr. Welling would do it.

9. Wolf says:

I don’t really see why Zach Snyder would step away from Brandon Routh as he did an excellent job in Superman Returns. For those saying that Tom Welling or Michael Rosenbaum would step away from a film written by Chris Nolan and directed by Zach Snyder would be ludicrous. Nolan is the best thing going on in Hollywood. All the A-listers want to work with him.

10. Smedley says:

Tom Welling is the logical choice, but since he’s been playing Clark Kent for ten seasons on TV, he’s probably wanting to get away from the role. Plus, it wouldn’t be the same unless the producers brought the supporting cast from Smallville as well – Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor, Erica Durance as Lois Lane, Michael McKeehan as Perry White, etc.

Another good choice would be Nathan Fillion (Firefly, Serenity, Castle). He has the looks and has shown good range as an actor. He would have to dye his hair black, but that’s not a problem.

Other than that I can’t think of anyone else. The thought of Ben Affleck as Superman/Clark Kent is a joke. Jon Hamm could do it, but might be a little too old. Matt Bomer is too pretty for the role. And Ryan Reynolds is already cast as Green Lantern. Unfortunately it looks as if an unknown would need to be cast in the role.

11. IconoclastX says:

Folks, the man’s name is Tom WELLING, not Wellington.

That said, I agree he’d probably make the best Superman out of what’s been bandied about for casting possibilities (Affleck? Seriously? Guaranteed fail.), if for nothing else than sheer familiarity with the role (he’s spent more time as Clark Kent than anyone else). There are a couple of problems I can foresee with that though:

1. He’s repeatedly expressed a serious reluctance to put on the traditional red-&-blue Superman costume (story aside, it’s one of the main reasons Clark hasn’t yet on Smallville, even though we know he has the suit already);

2. He’d been asked about playing Superman on film before, and said he’d only consider it if they also took Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor in a package deal (which I think would be brilliant considering the excellent chemistry between them on TV), however Rosenbaum has wanted to distance himself from the role which is why we haven’t seen him on Smallville these last few seasons;

3. Smallville is in its final season now, and Welling has been focusing more on the directing/producing end of things, which leads me to believe he’s ready to put Clark Kent behind him for good once shooting the series is done, unless the studio can woo him in with an offer good enough to overcome the other issues I mentioned.

As for the comments about all the casting choices lacking the size/muscle to play Superman, it’s important to remember comic book superheroes are drawn with exaggerated, idealized physiques that would require a lifelong commitment to achieve in real life. If I were casting the films I’d always go for acting ability first, physique second; it doesn’t matter if you put some muscle-freak in the Superman suit if he can’t make you believe he’s Superman on-screen, and bodybuilders who are also excellent actors don’t exactly grow on trees.

12. Justin says:

Tom Welling. He has the most experience of any Superman acter ever (10 years of an hour-long show), has a good physique for the part (look how skinny Reeves is as Superman [not knocking him as he was the best movie Superman]), and is the right age; he’s 33 and Superman started being active at 30. None of the selected actors would be good for Superman, don’t know why you chose them.

P.S.: Ryan Reynolds has played 3 comic book characters, Green Lantern, Deadpool, and he was in the third Blade movie.

13. superfan says:

Brandon Routh was good as superman. The director and story line and costume changes were bad, not the actor.
    If not Brandon pass the torch to Tom Wellington.
    Christopher Reeve was/is the best superman of all time.
    nuff said.

14. TheOtherDude says:

Tom Wheeling ftw

15. Cynthia says:

Tom Wellington. PERIOD. End of DEBATE.

16. jared says:

brandon routh, period.

no one else.

17. Xeon says:

If I had to choose one of those guys I would go with Ben Affleck, but though I can picture him in the part he is getting a bit old to be Superman. Though I like Ryan Renolds he already going to be GreenLantern (not to mention Deadpool, how many comic book characters can one guy be?), which would make any chance of a Justice League movie (a guy can hope can’t he) impossible without recasting yet again. Besides Ryan in no way looks like superman.

18. Shannon says:

NOT Ryan Reynolds. He did X-Men and now Green Lantern. If we’re going for an older face, John Hamm for sure. Not too keen one your other top ones either.

19. Ann Jenkins says:

I already see Tom Welling as Superman. why would he not be considered for the big screen? Is this a political issue?
    I would not like any of the given actors you selected.

20. Hansgerdkoll says:

TOM WELLING + a GOOD director (instead of those TV hacks) will = SUPERMAN.

Everyone has to keep in mind, Tom is currently acting as the campy, cheesy Superman that Warner Bros wants. If you get him some good dialogue and a director with a different vision, Tom will not only deliver, but he will LOOK the part.

70% of the way an actor acts, is because of the director, give him a chance!!

21. rip says:

What happen to Brandon Routh? He did a great job last time. Why are we always re-casting roles that have already been filled. Does it really matter if the actor is asking for money, he probably deserves it considering the money that the movie brings in. Ok I;m done, sorry had to get that out. I say if not Brandon Routh then Tom Welling he’s also played and looks the part. But pick the right age frame for this movie. Although some of the actors that are being casted are handsom I hate it when they cast older men for the 2nd movie n a series and then the 3rd one is a younger guy. Do the age/time line right. Leave yourself room for more work.

22. Risa says:

I agree with the comments before mine, Tom Welling would be great in a big screen version of Superman.

23. Suzisuzuki says:

Tom Wellington. He’s been young superman for 7 seasons. He’s adorable. He’s totally hot. Quite sexy. Quirky and cute. And has more experience playing superman than any other superman except the original one back in the day. It would be a wonderful transition to take superman to the big screen and continue the scandals. Can you imagine no nighttime tv censors. It would be off the chain hot!

24. Greg says:

Tom Wellington. Something like 10 million people have seen him as Superman over the last 10 years and would welcome him as the new Superman of the Big Screen since this is the last season of the SmallVille as well.

He is believable, likeable and most of all relatable.

25. Robin Vogel says:

Jared Padalecki would be perfect.

26. Oagrius says:

actually, if I had to choose. Tom Wellington. Needs to put on a few pounds of muslce, but he’s tall enough, he’s got the smile, and he’s been playing young superman for what, 7 seasons now.

27. Oagrius says:

none of them. Superman is 6’6 broad shoulder’d and musclebound. none of these are even close. If you could find someone that is comparable in size like batista (not saying batista) then you might have a start. All of the supermen since Christopher Reeves, have quite literally sucked.