Donny Takes It…and Your Fave Cable Shows

By People's Choice | 11:00 am on November 25, 2009

So Donny took it — mirror ball and all! He’s the Dancing With The Stars champ and was said to be “numb”, while Mya, about whom they said the trophy “was hers to lose” on account of her “astonishing dance scores” was reportedly “disappointed”.  Well bravo,  Donny, and my guess is Mya — especially given her stellar work on the dance floor this year — will have many happy days (and performances to come).  Same with Kelly O., who still has the vote (and adoration) of millions.  Now…let’s move into some holiday fare.  With Thanksgiving upon us, everyone’s probably going to be spending lots of time at the table or in front of the TV.  And so now let’s take a trip over to the basic cable realm, where fans of USA’s Burn Notice have good reason to be delighted — the show, starring Jeffrey Donovan and Gabrielle Anwar, has  been picked up for a fourth season.  Which got me thinking about basic cable in general, and how much good stuff is seemingly right under our noses.  And while we spend a great deal of time talking about the premium cable shows like Weeds, Dexter, Nurse Jackie, Entourage, Big Love, Californication etc…today I’d love to know where you all weigh in on some of  basic cable’s original series. Now since there are several of them that people love, I’m just going to throw out a few shows to see how everyone feels about that netherworld between networks and cable. You’ll notice I’m leaving out Breaking Bad, Monk White Collar and others — but that’s just because we’ll be talking about them next week.  So here goes…voice your choice in today’s featured poll and tell us which of these cable original series is your favorite? (and while you’re at it, have a fantastic Thanksgiving!)

1) Mad Men

2) Burn Notice

3) Damages

4) The Closer

1. Betzblue says:

There can be only ONE ( and it’s not the Highlander Baby)it’s called The Sons of Anarchy and it’s the BEST rippin show on the air. Kurt Sutter is a genius for creating such an awesome show, the writing is brilliant, the cast ensemble deserves to be recognized for their chemistry, if you doubt what I am saying, just wander over to SOA facebook and read the gazillion posts. It has fans all over the globe…IT DESERVES A PEOPLE’S CHOICE looksee.

2. susan777 says:

Pactric, Swazy, & Michael,Jackson can out dance Donnie,Osmand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. susan777 says:

Big Love should come back each year. They are real good on what they patray.

4. susan777 says:

Alva, I agree!!!!!!!!!!!

5. susan777 says:

On HBO2 True BLood should be shown alot more. Fans Of The Show Would Be Greatful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Alva says:

Sorry but Donny wasn’t the best dancer just will known. Mya out dance all. I must remember this isn’t a talent contect but favorite person. Kelly O was ok but the other girl was better, can’t remember her name.

7. Gail says:

I have been a fan of Donny Osmond ever since I was a teen and I was thrilled to see him win! Yea for the over 50s’ age group!

8. Marcia says:

I agree with Laurie, Donnie is a favorite of mine too but Mya & Demetri had the real talent. Donnie has charisma, a large fan base and a big family but he should have placed third. Sorry Donnie!

9. Laurie says:

I like Donny but I think that Mya and Demitri should have won based on talent. I think Derek and Joanna were better than Donny also. If it were a popularity contest then maybe Donny but I think Kelly was a fan fave.

10. It was a hard choice for me so I had to vote twice. First for Burn Notice then for Mad Men. The Eye Candy factor for both Shows is stellar. The writing, wit & characters are top notch, which is why we keep coming back for more. Sometimes you feel a cast right away, they gel, they like each other and who they portray and you believe. As a military brat I asked my Dad & friends about Burn Notices. They stuttered, snorted or just refused to answer. Things that make you go hmmm. On Mad Men I just love the fashion, styling and repression on the show. I luv the show so much one of my avatars is based from the show.

11. jmolen says:

Well, I know that Donny worked hard, but I thought this was a dance competition, not a personality contest. My vote goes to Mya and Demitri and I think Joanna and Derek should have been second.

12. HI,
    I AM SO HAPPY DONNY OSMOND WON. HE DESERVE IT. YOU HAVE TO SEE HE IS OVER 50 YEARS OLD AND HE WORK SO HARD AND U CAN TELL HE GAVE HIS VERY BEST AND ENJOY IT SO MUCH. I AMJUST SURPRISED THAT HE PULL HIS WIFE ON STAGE INSTEAD OD MARIE . WHICH I FOUND IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. WISH I COULD SEE THE SHOW DONNA AND MARIE OSMOND AT LAS VEGAS. I LOVED THEIR SHOW AND HOPE THEY BOUGHT THEM BACK TO ABC.WELL DONNY CONGRATS !! FROM A FAITHFUL FAN AND I SPECIALLY LOVE THE CHRISTIAN MOVIE U MADE. JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING THE TECHNICOLOR COAT . I LOVE IT. I SEEN THE OTHER CAST AND NONE TOP YOUR PERFORMANCE AS JOSEPH FROM THE BIBLE.
    LOVE