Bandslam, District 9 or The Time Traveler’s Wife?

By fredonelson | 7:48 am on August 14, 2009

There’s something for everyone at the cineplex this weekend, as the movie studios have cleverly timed their releases so that men, women and teens can all claim a film for their own.

First up is Bandslam, starring Disney Channel alums Vanessa Hudgens and Aly Michalka along with newcomer Gaelan Connell. It’s your basic new kid-in-town battle-of-the-bands story, but it’s sure to please the kids and teens and more than a few adults. Todd Graff, the writer/director, also wrote and directed one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies, Camp, so I just might be one of the adults in line with the tweens this weekend.

Next is District 9, which Entertainment Weekly has already proclaimed as “summer’s most thrilling adventure.” The aliens-in-Johannesburg flick was written and directed by Neill Blomkamp and stars his pal, Sharlto Copley. Heard of them? Neither have I. They’re smartly touting Peter Jackson as the producer to give it some cred, but the movie sure looks cool in its own right. I’m anxious to see how it does at the box office.

Finally, there’s The Time Traveler’s Wife, based on Audrey Niffenegger’s best selling book and starring Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana. Virtually every woman I know claims that they’ve cried at the trailer, so this has the potential to be The Notebook of 2009 (also starring McAdams.)

Which movie are you most looking forward to seeing this weekend? Voice your choice in today’s featured poll. And if you’re going to The Time Traveler’s Wife, be sure to bring the Kleenex.

Vanessa Hudgens in Bandslam

Vanessa Hudgens in Bandslam

1. when it comes to beautiful smile and beautiful teeth, Rachel McAdams have it all ,:,

2. Rachel McAdams’s dimples are so adorable and cute, she really have that killer smile`;*

3. love the eyes of Rachel McAdams, she has very bright eyes and pretty face too-..

4. Leon Murray says:

I love the eyes of Rachel McAdams, it seems to be always smiling`;”

5. Zoe Ali says:

what i love about Rachel McAdams is her eyes and lips, she does look gorgeous.-,,

6. don’t you just love the eyes of Rachel McAdams? she has some pretty eyes.`:.

7. No doubt, your gals are well-formed but these ones are frisky. Check out Jaleesa Gaskell http://bit.ly/dhhnq

8. ShirleyNOTemple says:

The Time Traveler’s Wife looks kinda hokey… but Eric Bana is amazingly hot and Rachel McAdams is always a great leading lady.

9. Julie Mathews says:

I watched the time travlers wife, I was wonderful!!!!!!
    Sad but wondeful, I wanted him to be saved, but the movies sometimes end the way you don’t want them too.
    I have found my Henry, my husband of 19years!!!!!
    julie

10. Robert Hamer says:

I saw District 9 on Friday. It definitely lives up to the hype. See it!

11. Shelly says:

I would really love to see The Time Traveler’s Wife. Although I love horror/SciFi films, I don’t know if I want to see Distirct 9. That said, Rachel McAdams is one of my favorite actresses. I have seen every movie she has been in and love them all. Band Slam may be cute but it is not my thing. I didn’t like HS Musical 1-3 and I didn’t like Camp Rock either.

12. Christina says:

Never thought I’d say this, but all the hype around District 9 is making me want to see it!