Spiderman on Broadway

By fredonelson | 9:00 am on July 6, 2009

Although the title role has yet to be cast, Spiderman, Turn Off the Dark has its leading lady and its villian. Evan Rachel Wood will play Mary Jane Watson and Alan Cumming will play Norman Osborn/The Green Goblin in the musical, which will begin its Broadway run on February 25, 2010.

The Lion King director Julie Taymor is co-writing the book and will direct the show, while¬† rumors are flying that Jim Sturgess — star of Taymor’s Beatles’ movie musical Across the Universe — is the first choice to play Spidey himself.

What do you think? Is the comic book-turned-movie franchise ready to take on the Great White Way? Would one of its recently announced stars or its acclaimed director make you more likely to check it out? Voice your choice in today’s featured poll.

1. of course 3d movies are cool too watch that is why we are developing 3d tvs today “:*

2. Emily Jones says:

3d movies are hard to come by but they are the coolest,`*

3. Tilly Holmes says:

3d movies are so cool, i just wish that we could watch 3d movies on TV;-’

4. Rex Cheramie says:

I feel Beatles are awesome, their song are easy but echo through ages and ages to appear.

5. 3d movies are really great because it adds more level of realism ~-~

6. Kaden Hayes says:

it is really exciting to watch 3d movies. i hope that there would be 3d sexy movies too.,.”

7. Hallyfoo says:

It’s interesting how far 3D Movies have come in the last few years. If you guys remember Spiderman from early 2000, and look at movies like Avatar, created now, you’ll understand what I’m referring to. We’ve just come so far, as long as the Movie is well funded. I can’t wait to see DC’s new Batman 3 coming out 2012.

8. Broadway Fan says:

Is this show actually going to make it to Broadway? There was a recent article in the NY Post that the production has been halted. I put in a deposit for group tix and am concerned I may not get my money back. The ticket office said the show is still a go. Any info would be greatly appreciated

9. Cole E. (#1 PCA Voter) says:

The casting choices are very interesting, and I would love to see the play.

This news reminds me of when my family and I were vacationing in New York City right after the first Spiderman movie came out. As we were leaving our hotel under a tunnel, this (very talented!) man, dressed in a Spiderman suit, jumped on the side of the wall and started scaling it. It was a very memorable experience.

Until he tried to swindle us into paying him.

10. Fantasy Girl says:

I would be thrilled if Jim agreed to play Spidey. He’s definitely Julie’s first choice, but scheduling conflicts may prevent him from taking on the year-long commitment. BUT not all Jim’s fans are as excited about him performing on Broadway as I am. However all the fans agree we’d love to hear him sing, especially if he was performing his own music!!