Summer Medical Dramas

By fredonelson | 9:40 am on June 2, 2009

Summer’s here and dozens of new TV shows are making their debuts, especially on cable. In particular, there are three new medical dramas premiering in the next couple of weeks that show a lot of promise.

First up is Royal Pains on June 4th on USA. Mark Feuerstein — the guy who played the opthamologist who inspired Miranda to fake orgasms on Sex and the City — plays surgeon Hank Lawson, a private doctor for Hamptons’ millionaires. When he’s not tending to the rich, he’s spending his free time offering medical assistance to poor folks.

Nurse Jackie makes its Showtime debut on June 8th. In this highly anticipated series, Edie Falco plays the title character, a New York City emergency room nurse who’s addicted to pain killers. This marks Falco’s return to premium cable after her Emmy-winning run as Carmela Soprano on HBO.

On June 16, TNT will premiere HawthoRNe, starring Jada Pinkett Smith. She plays nurse Christina Hawthorne, a single mom who works at Richmond Trinity Hospital along side the chief of surgery played by Michael Vartan (of Alias and Never Been Kissed fame.)

Which of these new medical dramas shows the most promise? Voice your choice in today’s featured poll. Then take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Edie Falco, Mark Feuerstein, and Jada Pinkett Smith

Edie Falco, Mark Feuerstein, and Jada Pinkett Smith

1. Rocky Abasta says:

I’ve the community business and also Yahoo provides Several numerous entries for this, all of which are usually wrong. How do you produce the proper record and also delete the mediocre ones? Yahoo does not indicate anyplace tips about ways to do that, that i can inform.

2. Catnip Cat : says:

believe me, ulcer is quite painful and its symptoms are not very good*,’

3. ulcer is a very painful disease, i hate ulcer~;`

4. ulcer is quite painful and sometimes it is deadly too, my grandmother died from ulcer:.,

5. i had an ulcer last year because i am fond of skipping meals and working too hard. it was quite painful.*,

6. my uncle got stomach ulcers because he took a lot of Aspirin to take care of his high blood pressure.,’`

7. How briskly can somebody expect to lose weight?

8. Like to watch Stargate Atlantis episodes and also Lost. I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

9. Royal Pains says:

I think its gona be a great show, i enjoyed the first episode very much but again i am a big fan of alot of USA network shows

10. Jasmine says:

Hawthorne-can’t wait to see Michael Vartan back on TV!

11. adriana8900 says:

hawthorne get my vote jada pinkett smith and michael vartan hot chemistry together with medical drama

12. tip top says:

Hawthorne – will have my vote hands down. First it gives a totally new perspective than we are used to on tv (congratulations to TNT) and secondly it has the ever charismatic Michael Vartan in it an extremely talented actor.

13. Bonnie says:

“HawthoRNe” gets my vote! Jada Pinkett Smith and Michael Vartan = winning combination!!

14. I think Royal Pains will be the best show.

I really like Mark Feuerstein and all the talent he will bring to the show.

Regards,