I was at the American Idol Finale

By fredonelson | 10:16 am on May 21, 2009
Adam Lambert and Kris Allen

Adam Lambert and Kris Allen

I was lucky enough to attend last night’s American Idol finals at the Nokia Theater/L.A. Live in Los Angeles. As a long time fan of the franchise in general and a major fan of this season’s Kris/Adam showdown in particular, I was especially excited to be there. Given the electric energy in the room, I’m pretty sure I wasn’t alone in my excitement.

Although Kris was technically crowned our new American Idol, Adam was also a winner in that he already has a huge passionate fan base. They’re both already stars. As Simon said, they’re not only talented but they’re also really nice guys. And they genuinely seem to like and respect each other. I love that.

The show was an embarassment of riches, with this season’s Idol finalists performing with music legends ranging from Cyndi Lauper to Rod Stewart, The Black Eyed Peas to Queen, Jason Mraz to Queen Latifah, Lionel Richie to Kiss. Kris and Adam’s performance of “We Are the Champions” with the surviving members of Queen was a highlight for me, as was Adam’s medley with Kiss. (I guess I’m a sucker for 70s glam rock.) I can still feel the heat from the on stage pyrotechnics at the Nokia.

What was your favorite performance last night? Please share your comments below. And voice your choice in today’s featured poll about the ladies of the evening: Fergie, Queen Latifah, and Cyndi Lauper. I’m already going through Idol withdrawal and can’t wait ’til next season!

1. Ella Walker says:

American Idol has always been my all time favorite show, it is the best-.::”;.

2. all of the singers that joins American Idol have great talent but most of them are not born to be great `”*

3. Riley Carter says:

american idol is probably the best singing contest tv show on TV. i love this show,’~

4. Allison Hill says:

Watching American Idol gave me the perspective that ther are really lots of talented people out there.`”‘

5. Louis Price says:

everyone wants to watch americal idol because we love to hear beautiful voices. ,`-

6. This particular post was very significant to see, I appreciated it a lot. I am going now to email it to my collegues to permit them look over this too. Thank you greatly.

7. I am a big fan of your blog and I check it regularly. Keep up the great work!

8. PB says:

How did this happen people? I thought Adam had this in the bag….Oh….my heart hurts!

9. Judith says:

Adam is awsome and more talented than any other Idol contestant in all 8 seasons. I cried when he didn’t win and I was using 3 phones to vote and I was only able to get through aproximately 30 times. There were to many busy signals for the finale. Adam will definitely have an outstanding career and I will buy every one of his cds. Adam is a class act and will go far. I can’t wait for his first cd and I have downloaded all his songs from Itunes and most of his videos. I have fallen in love with Adam’s voice.

10. Ferinannnd says:

хороший рассказ, все разложено по полкам

11. Ginger Kelly says:

I’m so excited still over last night! It was tops! The best show ever. Each time someone would come out, I would figure it couldn’t be topped. I was proven wrong. What a show!
    There was something for everyone and especially for me when Rod Stewart performed! I absolutely loved the whole show.

I am upset Adam didn’t win as I felt he was far superior to all the idols this year, but that’s not to sell Kris short or the top 5. Really great year and I too am going through withdrawals. Can’t wait for next year. Thanks for a fun and super night! Idol is the best!

12. Cynthia says:

13. Rose Marie Small says:

The very best show that American Idol has produced. I loved it. Both Adam and Kris are truly American Idols.
    Ryan Seacrest said on Tuesday night that Adam was a class act,
    in this instance, I would agree that both these young men, are truly a class act and I am going to miss seeing both of them every week.

I hope they get an Emmy for that show.
    Seeing all those very successful artists on the finale, only proves how very popular and successful a show, American Idol has become. One glorious surprise after another.
    A million voters cannot be wrong.